Friday, May 05, 2006

POLITICAL PR PLOYS

By Stockton

I found this little nugget in Bill James' Historical Baseball Abstract.

We've all watched politicians carefully select an axe they could grind for some PR play. I t occurs now, it occurred in the 1950's. It probably occurred in the pre-dawn of time (one pictures a Neanderthal leader pushing the death penalty for anyone who falls asleep while watching the sacred fire).

Thus, it's always satisfying when the axe grinder get some egg on his/her face.

In the 1950's, a Congressman published a list of athletes that received 'soft duty' during World War II. Hank Bauer, the Yankee Rightfielder, was on the list (Bauer was a very talented ballplayer).

Only one problem: Bauer, a Marine, took part in the invasion of four islands - New Georgia, Emirau, Okinawa and Guam. He took shrapnel in the back of his leg which could never be removed.

When his error was pointed out, the Congressman (I wish I had his name) said, "I didn't mean Hank Bauer, I meant Hank Sauer." Sauer was a Chicago Cubs outfielder.

Unfortunately, Sauer had also seen combat.

You have to love it.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?